As a nonprofit children’s museum, Gilbert House Children’s Museum relies upon admission revenue, individual donations and grants from foundations to support its operations. As members of the Salem community, we want to support other organizations serving children and that align with our mission of inspiring children to learn through creative play.
Our standard donation is four (4) one-day admission passes to the Museum. The passes are good for six months and have no cash value. Organizations are limited to one (1) donation request per calendar year. We receive many requests and unfortunately cannot award every organization submitting a request with a donation. Please see the guidelines below to determine if your organization is eligible to receive a donation.
In order for a request to be considered, the requesting organization must:
- Nonprofit organizations with 501(c)(3) status in good standing
- Schools (public* and private) – Preference is given to schools that have visited the museum within the past two years.
- Be physically located within 35 miles of Gilbert House Children’s Museum.
- Organization’s mission must support and serve the museum’s core audience, children ages 2-10.
*At the beginning of the 2016-2017 school year, Gilbert House Children’s Museum sent four (4) one-day admission passes to each elementary school in the Salem-Keizer School District. It is up to each school to determine how they would like to use their passes.
- For-profit organizations
- Third party requests
- Events benefiting a single person or family
- Religious or political organizations
- Middle schools or high schools
- Organizations farther than 35 miles from Gilbert House Children’s Museum
How to Request a Donation
Submit your letter of request, printed on the organization’s letterhead, to:
Attn: Donation Request
Gilbert House Children’s Museum
116 Marion Street NE
Salem, OR 97301
Your request must be received a minimum of six (6) weeks prior to the event.
The Museum does not accept requests via telephone, email, or in-person.
Please do not call to follow up on the status of your request.
Receiving the Donation
If your request has been approved the passes will be sent to your organization at least two weeks prior to your event.
We regret that due to the volume of requests received we cannot guarantee every request will be fulfilled. Additionally, we are unable to respond to those organizations not awarded a donation.
Please send an acknowledgement to the Museum within 60 days of the issue date of the donation.