Tuesday – Sunday: 10:00 A.M. – 5:00 P.M.
Open on Mondays during holiday breaks & summer break! Closed on Mondays, when school is in session. See holiday hours below.
Please note that Gilbert House Children’s Museum exhibits and programs are designed for children, ages 2-10.
- Minors under the age of 18 must be accompanied by an adult—we do not admit children without an adult.
- Parents under the age of 18 are always welcome with their own children.
- If you are interested in viewing our museum or our A.C. Gilbert exhibit in particular, our visitor services staff will be happy to give you a brief tour of our facility.
- Adults without children will be refused admission, but offered a tour.
- The Museum reserves the right to refuse admission.
|Children under 1||Free|
How We Play
- Child Supervision: Children must be under the close supervision of an adult caregiver. Caregivers are expected to be a role model for others.
- Unattended Adults: For child safety, unattended adults may not visit the Museum. Adult visitors must be accompanied by a child or a staff member.
- Clothing: Visitors are required to wear proper attire, including shirts and shoes.
- Service Animals: Your service animal is welcome to assist you in enjoying the museum. No other pets are allowed on Museum property.
- Substance Use: We are a smoke-free property. This includes e-cigarettes. Anyone possessing illegal drugs or under the influence will be asked to leave the museum.
- Weapons: We comply with the City of Salem’s weapon regulations.
Respect the Museum
- Food & Beverage: Covered beverages are welcome in our houses. We have designated outdoor picnic areas for you to enjoy. Eating or drinking uncovered beverages within our indoor exhibits is not permitted.
- Behavior: Visitors are expected to exhibit common courtesy by cleaning up after themselves, using equipment safely, walking indoors, using appropriate language, and consenting to instructions given by our staff. We have the right to dismiss individuals from the premises or refuse service to anyone displaying inappropriate, harmful, disruptive, or suspicious behavior.
Group Rate Information
Advance scheduling is required to receive group rates. You can visit our Field Trips page for more information on each option.
The group rate is $6.00 per person. This rate is applicable to organized groups of 10 or more paid child admissions. One adult chaperone for every 5 students is required and is admitted free. Additional adults are admitted at the group rate. We reserve the right to refuse admission to any group that does not have the required number of chaperones.
Call 503-371-3631 for more information about scheduling a group.
Because our exhibits are housed in three unique historical houses, the first level of each house is accessible by wheelchair, which includes about half the exhibits. The Outdoor Discovery Area is accessible all the way up to the Erector Set climbing tower.
Persons who cannot make it to upstairs exhibits due to wheelchair accessibility will be admitted at ½ regular admission rate. One attendant who stays with this individual will be admitted free of charge. If you have any questions about accessibility and would like help planning your visit, please call us at the Museum at 503-371-3631.
Gilbert House Children’s Museum reserves the right to use any photography/video taken on the premises, without the expressed written permission of those included within the photography/video. Museum visitors and activities may be included in future media, social media, or marketing materials. With admission into the Museum, you consent to the recording of photographs and/or video of yourself, your dependents, and accompanying group. You grant the Museum all rights to use these images for educational, promotional, advertising, and other purposes which advance the overall mission of the Museum to “inspire children to learn through creative play.” All rights to the photographs and video belong to the Museum. We never use identifying information with a child’s image. Please notify the Front Desk if you do not consent to this policy. Security cameras are stationed throughout the Museum, for the purpose of visitor safety and the protection of Museum property.
Museum Closed on:
New Year’s Day
Museum Closes Early:
Christmas Eve at 1:00 P.M.
In the event of inclement weather, the Museum may close the Outdoor Discovery Center or close completely. Inclement weather closures will be posted on the Museum’s homepage, Facebook and Twitter.
Please call 503-371-3631 for details.
ASTC Museum Members
Gilbert House participates in the ASTC Travel Passport program and offers free general admission to members from other ASTC museums. Although ASTC Travel Passport restrictions exclude museums within 90 miles of Gilbert House Children’s Museum, we have special agreements so all Oregon ASTC museums are available for our members. Please call us for details.